Saturday, October 25, 2008

Bridge to Somewhere



<--- Ketchikan mayor Dave Kiffer. I lived in Ketchikan off and on for seven years. I love it there and rave about it to anyone who will listen. I also know that as time passes my memories gain luster; you forget the boring, you forget the cold, you forget the wet, you forget the isolation. In 2006 when the bridge to nowhere first made headlines I thought it was funny. I, like the mayor, am a huge proponent of the bridge to nowhere. My reasons are different then the reasons described in the Newsweek article. Kiffer talks about lack of growth potential and a 30 year promise. Sure, those are fine. But I'm also a believer in the epic for the sake of the epic. The bridge would be almost as long as the Golden Gate and higher than the Brooklyn Bridge. Holy shit! I am jealous of all things Golden Gate, Space Needle, St. Louis Arch, Eiffel Tower, etc. Portland lacks this distinguishing landmark. Why not Ketchikan? The waste of money? In reality, it's all wasted anyway. We might as well put hundreds of people to work in Ketchikan for years spending four hundred million dollars building what might end up being one of Alaska's biggest landmarks. Ketchikan calls itself the gateway of Alaska. Sitting on the deck of a cruise ship or a ferry as you passed underneath this behemoth would certainly feel like a gate! Ooh the symbolism!

No comments: